Wednesday 27 April 2011

The Great Acting Blog: "The Audition - A Short Script - Part 3"

INTERVIEWER

That's ok, don't worry, we got it. So, y'know, in your own time, take it from the top please - great face.

 

Silence as Tony prepares himself...

 

TONY

..”This here land is my father's land”...

 

INTERVIEWER

Sorry, sorry to interrupt there Tony. It's great, what you're doing is great.

 

TONY

Ok.

 

INTERVIEWER

But just on that first line, it needs to be “this here land is my father's land”, what you're doing is “this here land is my father's land”, do you see?

 

TONY

Right, ok, yep.

 

INTERVIEWER

This here land is my father's land”, it's very good, what you're doing is very good, and I know you've only had the script for a couple of days, but it needs to be “this here land is my father's land”, not “this here land is my father's land,” which is what you're doing.

 

TONY

(to himself)

this here land is my father's land”, right yep, got it.

 

INTERVIEWER

Have you got that?

 

TONY

Right, yep, thanks.

 

INTERVIEWER

Good. Lets go from the top again. In your own time please Tony.

 

TONY

.....”This here land is my father's land”.

 

INTERVIEWER

Sorry Tony, sorry to be such a stickler, but it's such an important speech. It's “this here land is my father's land”, do you see? The stress, the intention. You're saying: “this here land is my father's land”, what it needs to be is: “this here land is my father's land”, it's the meaning, do you see?

 

TONY

Rrriiiight, ok, yep, I thought you meant – no no, ok no, I've got it now. Yep.

 

INTERVIEWER

You've got it?

 

TONY

Yep yep yep.

 

INTERVIEWER

Ok great. Lets go again.

 

TONY

From the top?

 

INTERVIEWER

Yes please.

 

Again, a silence as Tony prepares himself....

 

TONY

..”this here land is my father's land”

 

INTERVIEWER

Hahahaha!...I think it's one of those days Tony, the tube was delayed or something, I get those days myself. Sorry, I know you're a very experienced actor, but it's “this here land is my father's land” - d'you see?

 

TONY

Rrrright. Yeah.

 

INTERVIEWER

Do you see the difference: “this here land is my father's land”, not, “this here land is my father's land”, if you put the stress -

 

TONY

Right.

 

INTERVIEWER

  • in the wrong place, we lose the sense of the line.

 

TONY

Ok, yep – not sure what happened to me there.

 

INTERVIEWER

I know, it's probably one of those days, we all get 'em, I get 'em, we all get 'em, it just doesn't snap into place. But don't worry, you're doing well, and I know it's not easy.

 

TONY

Ok.

 

INTERVIEWER

So, lets go from the top again.

 

TONY

Ok.

 

INTERVIEWER

Lovely. In your own time please Tony.

 

TONY

..”this here land is my father's land”.

 

INTERVIEWER

Ok, sorry Tony. Would you like a glass of water?

 

TONY

No, I'm fine, thank-you.

 

INTERVIEWER

Is it stuffy in here, would you like me to open a window or something?

 

TONY

No, I'm fine thank-you.

 

INTERVIEWER

Ok, because we need to work on this opening line. What you're saying is “this here land is my father's land”.

 

TONY

Ok.

 

INTERVIEWER

What it needs to be is “this here land is my father's land”.

 

Pause, as Tony studies the script.

 

INTERVIEWER

Have you got that?

 

TONY

So, “this here land is my father's land.”

 

INTERVIEWER

Land (they overlap on “land”). Not, what you're doing, which is: “this here land is my father's land”.

 

TONY

father's land” right right right. Got it.

 

INTERVIEWER

Got it?

 

TONY

this here land is my father's land”, as oppose to “this here land is my father's land”

 

INTERVIEWER

(overlapping with Tony's 2nd quote) “this here land is my father's land”.

 

TONY

Right right right right right right right right right, yep yep yep yep yep, got it got it got it got it got it - “this here land is my father's land”.

 

INTERVIEWER

This here land is my father's land”.

 

TONY

(overlappIng from 1st “land”) “land is my father's land”, got it got it got it.

 

INTERVIEWER

Have you got it now? “This here land is my father's land”.

 

TONY

Yep, got it got it, “this here land is my fathers land” yep yep yep yep yep.

 

INTERVIEWER

Brilliant.

 

TONY

Finally sinking into the old grey matter.

 

INTERVIEWER

Wonderful. So, if we can go again please.

 

TONY

Absolutely.

 

INTERVIEWER

From the top. And in your own time of course.

 

Silence...then:

 

TONY

this here land is my father's land”.

 

 

INTERVIEWER

Sorry Tony, let me interrupt you. That was a really good try by the way, you're doing really well.

 

TONY

Ok....

 

INTERVIEWER

I'm just looking at your....'Cause, this isn't...you're a pretty experienced actor right?

 

TONY

Yeah.

 

INTERVIEWER

This isn't your first casting is it.

 

TONY

No.

 

INTERVIEWER

No, looking at your CV you've done quite a lot of stuff.

 

TONY

..

 

INTERVIEWER

Ok, no, that's fine.

 

TONY

...

 

INTERVIEWER

Umm, ok, no, lets try once more. From the top.

 

TONY

Do you want me to -

 

INTERVIEWER

No no, lets just do one, in your own time.

 

TONY

So, it's -

 

INTERVIEWER

In your own time, Tony, please.

 

Long silence, as Tony prepares himself....

 

TONY

(Coughs)…..”This”...(Coughs)..”This here land, is my father's land”.

 

INTERVIEWER

Ok, lets....Well....that's great. Thank-you. Thank-you for coming in.

 

TONY

...

 

INTERVIEWER

So, we're letting people know over the next couple of weeks. Obviously we've got other actors to see.

 

TONY

Ok.

 

INTERVIEWER

Any questions?

 

TONY

Uhh, no, not at this point.

 

INTERVIEWER

Well, lovely, great, thanks. Thanks for coming in. All the best.

 

TONY

(rises)

No problem. Thanks. (turns)

 

INTERVIEWER

It's the other way. Thanks, Tony.

 

TONY

(turns the other way)

Thanks.

 

Tony exits frame and we hear his footsteps as he walks away.

 

TONY (cont'd, off)

Oh...forgot...(we hear his footsteps coming back, and he re-enters the frame and picks-up his bag, holding it up to indicate to the interviewer why he came back).

 

INTERVIEWER

Thanks, Tony.

 

TONY

Thanks.

 

We hear Tony's footsteps again as he walks away, then we hear the door open and close.

 

THE END

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment