Wednesday 27 April 2011

The Great Acting Blog: "The Audition - A Short Script - Part 2"

For background notes on the script, please visit The Audtion - A Short Script - Part 2.

THE AUDITION


A room.



INTERVIEWER

Hi Tony.


TONY

Hi.


INTERVIEWER

Thanks for coming in.


TONY

No problem.


INTERVIEWER

Please, take a seat.


TONY

(enters frame by sitting)

Thanks.


INTERVIEWER

So, you got my email.


TONY

(showing some pages)

Yes, thanks.


INTERVIEWER

Oh good, you got the script.


TONY

Yes, thanks.


INTERVIEWER

What did you...did you have a chance to look at it?


TONY

Yes I did, thanks.


INTERVIEWER

And what did you think?


TONY

Yeah, great, loved it. Plenty to get my teeth into.


INTERVIEWER

Oh great, you connected with it.


TONY

Oh yes, very much so.



INTERVIEWER

Oh terrific, that's excellent. Now, how I want today to work is: I think we should have a read, read the script, we'll work it a little bit, see what you come up with.


TONY

Right, yep.


INTERVIEWER

So we'll read the script, then I'll tell you a little bit more about the production.


TONY

Right, great.


INTERVIEWER

A little bit more about the production, about ourselves, the company, etcetera.


TONY

Great, yeah.


INTERVIEWER

So, but first lets have a little reading, lets have a look at you.


Tony smiles, affably.


INTERVIEWER (cont'd)

See what you come up with.


TONY

Yep, great.


INTERVIEWER

And you said you had a chance to look at it.


TONY

Yes.


INTERVIEWER

Have you got any questions about it.


TONY

Nope, not at this point.


INTERVIEWER

Or would you prefer to plunge right in?


TONY

Yep, dive right in, see what we've got and then we can work it from there.


INTERVIEWER

Yep great, lets dive in, see what you've come up with.


TONY

Lovely, great.


INTERVIEWER

Ok.


TONY

Great.


INTERVIEWER

So you've got the script.


TONY

Yep.


INTERVIEWER

You don't need me to give you a script.


TONY

Nope, got a script thanks.


INTERVIEWER

Great. Which part did I give you?


TONY

As in which part am I playing?


INTERVIEWER

No, I meant -


TONY

Oh sorry.


INTERVIEWER

Which part of the script did I give you to look at.


TONY

Oh sorry.


INTERVIEWER

Which scene.


TONY

Oh sorry sorry sorry sorry – this one (turns pages toward interviewer).


INTERVIEWER

Which is that?....Oh crumbs, we gave you the “father's land” speech.


TONY

Yes.


INTERVIEWER

Crickey, The Big One.


TONY

Yes.


INTERVIEWER

Well, I'd love to see what you've come up with.


TONY

Great, yeah.


INTERVIEWER

And, you've looked at it, you're happy with everything.


TONY

Absolutely, yep.


INTERVIEWER

Ok...So, just relax. I want you to relax. Enjoy it.


TONY

Yep, great, thanks.


INTERVIEWER

Enjoy it, ok, you're right for the part, dont worry about that, that's why you're in the room.


TONY

Great, yep.


INTERVIEWER

So, dont worry about that, just relax, you don't need to worry about acting, or the character.


TONY

Ok.


INTERVIEWER

You're in the room because you're right for the part, ok, you dont need to worry about characterization, doing a character, all that, just relax, be yourself, and, y'know, and, enjoy it.


TONY

Yep, lovely, yep.


INTERVIEWER

So...yeah, lets, y'know, lets go for one.



TONY

Yep.


INTERVIEWER

Now, it is a lengthy speech.


TONY

Yep, it's a long one, but the way the writing is it doesn't seem long.


INTERVIEWER

Oh good.


TONY

So...


INTERVIEWER

So, you like the writing.


TONY

Oh yeah, I think it's really well written.


INTERVIEWER

Oh good, that is good. Now: Tony: I know you said you don't want to talk about the scene before you do it.


TONY

Well, I dont mind.


INTERVIEWER

No, no.


TONY

I don't mind talking about it, if, if...


INTERVIEWER

No no, I think we'll just go for it.


TONY

Right, yep, we can go for it or we can talk about it, I'm happy either way...


INTERVIEWER

We'll go for it, then maybe we'll talk about it after.


TONY

Right, yep.


INTERVIEWER

How does that sound?


TONY

Right, yep, perfect, great.


INTERVIEWER

Ok, lovely. The only thing I'd say at this point is: the audience need to feel sorry for the character at this point.


TONY

Right, ok.


INTERVIEWER

They need to feel sorry for him, we need the character to be sympathetic.


TONY

Right, yep, sympathy, yep.


INTERVIEWER

Ok?


TONY

Yep, great.


INTERVIEWER

Ok. Let's go for one. Yes, it is a big speech, a lengthy speech, but as I said before, relax, enjoy it, I'm looking forward to your interpretation, to to, seeing what you've come up with. Ok?


TONY

Ok.


INTERVIEWER

Ok, great...You've got a great face by the way.


TONY

Thanks.


INTERVIEWER

Have you been told that before? You hear it all the time I bet.


TONY

Ha, ha.


INTERVIEWER

Great face. Anyway. The “my father's land speech”, now just before we start, I want you to look into the camera please.


TONY

(indicating the camera)

This one?


INTERVIEWER

Yes please, look into the camera, and I want you to tell us you're name, and what part you reading for.


TONY

Ok.


INTERVIEWER

In your own time please.


TONY

(into camera)

My name is Tony Wallis, and I'm reading for the part of Arthur...no, sorry, Peter, I'm reading for the part of Peter, Peter, not Arthur, sorry sorry sorry, Peter.


INTERVIEWER

That's ok, don't worry, we got it. So, y'know, in your own time, take it from the top please - great face.


Silence as Tony prepares himself...


TONY

…..”This here land is my father's land”...


INTERVIEWER

Sorry, sorry to interrupt there Tony. It's great, what you're doing is great.


TONY

Ok.


INTERVIEWER

But just on that first line, it needs to be “this here land is my father's land”, what you're doing is “this here land is my father's land”, do you see?


TONY

Right, ok, yep.


INTERVIEWER

“This here land is my father's land”, it's very good, what you're doing is very good, and I know you've only had the script for a couple of days, but it needs to be “this here land is my father's land”, not “this here land is my father's land,” which is what you're doing.


TONY

(to himself)

“this here land is my father's land”, right yep, got it.


INTERVIEWER

Have you got that?


TONY

Right, yep, thanks.


INTERVIEWER

Good. Lets go from the top again. In your own time please Tony.


TONY

.....”This here land is my father's land”.


INTERVIEWER

Sorry Tony, sorry to be such a stickler, but it's such an important speech. It's “this here land is my father's land”, do you see? The stress, the intention. You're saying: “this here land is my father's land”, what it needs to be is: “this here land is my father's land”, it's the meaning, do you see?


TONY

Rrriiiight, ok, yep, I thought you meant – no no, ok no, I've got it now. Yep.


INTERVIEWER

You've got it?


TONY

Yep yep yep.


INTERVIEWER

Ok great. Lets go again.


TONY

From the top?


INTERVIEWER

Yes please.


Again, a silence as Tony prepares himself....


TONY

…..”this here land is my father's land”


INTERVIEWER

Hahahaha!...I think it's one of those days Tony, the tube was delayed or something, I get those days myself. Sorry, I know you're a very experienced actor, but it's “this here land is my father's land” - d'you see?


TONY

Rrrright. Yeah.


INTERVIEWER

Do you see the difference: “this here land is my father's land”, not, “this here land is my father's land”, if you put the stress -


TONY

Right.


INTERVIEWER

  • in the wrong place, we lose the sense of the line.


TONY

Ok, yep – not sure what happened to me there.


INTERVIEWER

I know, it's probably one of those days, we all get 'em, I get 'em, we all get 'em, it just doesn't snap into place. But don't worry, you're doing well, and I know it's not easy.


TONY

Ok.


INTERVIEWER

So, lets go from the top again.


TONY

Ok.


INTERVIEWER

Lovely. In your own time please Tony.


TONY

…..”this here land is my father's land”.


INTERVIEWER

Ok, sorry Tony. Would you like a glass of water?


TONY

No, I'm fine, thank-you.


INTERVIEWER

Is it stuffy in here, would you like me to open a window or something?


TONY

No, I'm fine thank-you.


INTERVIEWER

Ok, because we need to work on this opening line. What you're saying is “this here land is my father's land”.


TONY

Ok.


INTERVIEWER

What it needs to be is “this here land is my father's land”.


Pause, as Tony studies the script.


INTERVIEWER

Have you got that?


TONY

So, “this here land is my father's land.”


INTERVIEWER

Land (they overlap on “land”). Not, what you're doing, which is: “this here land is my father's land”.


TONY

“father's land” right right right. Got it.


INTERVIEWER

Got it?


TONY

“this here land is my father's land”, as oppose to “this here land is my father's land”


INTERVIEWER

(overlapping with Tony's 2nd quote) “this here land is my father's land”.


TONY

Right right right right right right right right right, yep yep yep yep yep, got it got it got it got it got it - “this here land is my father's land”.


INTERVIEWER

“This here land is my father's land”.


TONY

(overlappIng from 1st “land”) “land is my father's land”, got it got it got it.


INTERVIEWER

Have you got it now? “This here land is my father's land”.


TONY

Yep, got it got it, “this here land is my fathers land” yep yep yep yep yep.


INTERVIEWER

Brilliant.


TONY

Finally sinking into the old grey matter.


INTERVIEWER

Wonderful. So, if we can go again please.


TONY

Absolutely.


INTERVIEWER

From the top. And in your own time of course.


Silence...then:


TONY

”this here land is my father's land”.


No comments:

Post a Comment