Saturday 22 September 2012

TONIGHT!! Free screening of Aki Kaurismaki's I Hired A Contract Killer, @ The Gallery Cafe, Bethnal Green! Hope To See There!

(NB - the film is in English, although this clip from Youtube is dubbed in Finnish).

 

Dear Friends,

I am delighted to announce that our next screening will be Aki Kaurismaki's I Hired A Contract Killer

I don't know if you've seen I Hired A Contract Killer before, but it is a fabulous, absurd film noir, with Jean-Pierre Leaud and Margi Clarke, and there's live music by Joe Strummer. Most of it was shot in Stoke Newington but the film is hardly known at all in the UK, and although Kaurismaki got some note recently with Le Havre, I still think his work is criminally under-appreciated in this country, and I want to set that right.

The screening is free, & will be on Saturday, September 22nd, @ 5pm, at The Gallery Cafe, 21 Old Ford Road, Bethnal Green, E2 9PL


I've posted a link below for directions to the venue, plus some words about the film.

We have an open house policy, the more the merrier, so I hope to see you there!


James

http://thegallerycafe.wordpress.com/contact-us/

 


I Hired a Contract Killer (1990)- 79 mins (Aki Kaurismaki)
Starring; Jean-Pierre Leaud, Margi Clarke, Nicky Tesco, Serge Reggiani, Kenneth Colley, Joe Strummer.


After fifteen years’ service, Henri Boulanger is made redundant from his job. Shocked, he attempts suicide, but can’t go through with it, so he hires a contract killer in a seedy bar to murder him at some unspecified time in the future. But almost immediately he meets and falls in love with Margaret, a flower-seller, which makes Henri realise that his life has some meaning after all. But when he goes back to the bar to cancel the contract, he finds it has been demolished – and there’s no way he can get in touch with the killer…

Still002

No comments:

Post a Comment